When traveling to Ghana, be sure to research the safety of renting a car. Although the country is relatively safe overall, there are still risks to be aware of when traveling in Ghana by car.
Here are some tips to make your rental experience as safe and secure as possible:
1) Use a reputable car rental company. Make sure to research which companies are reputable in Ghana before booking your car. There have been cases of fraudulent car rentals in Ghana, so it’s important to be cautious. You can also search for genuine Ghana Car Rentals online.
2) Insist on getting collision insurance. If you rent a vehicle with a driver, make sure they have collision insurance in case of an accident. This will cover you for any damages you may cause.
3) Drive cautiously. When driving in Ghana, it’s important to drive cautiously and use common sense when navigating the streets and highways. Be aware of traffic laws and avoid making sudden movements while driving.
4) Always keep your belongings locked in the trunk or elsewhere inside the vehicle when not in use. This is especially important in rural areas where theft is more common. Also, do not leave any valuables unattended in your car – even if you’re at the beach on holiday!
5) Be aware of your surroundings and do not get too involved with other passengers in the vehicle. Make sure you have a conversation going and pay attention to what’s happening around you at all times.
6) Do not drive through red lights. In Ghana, it is against the law for vehicles to run a red light even if there are no traffic police present.7) Do not drink and drive. Alcohol is frowned upon in many countries and can make driving more dangerous – especially when combined with driving at night or in areas unfamiliar to you.